Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Molly Hatch Ceramics






Ceramicist Molly Hatch grew up in close connection with nature and the practice of making: "My childhood was spent on an organic dairy farm in southern VT and a Quaker community in central VT. My love of ceramics comes from a family history of using our hands to make objects for use and contemplation. In my ceramic work, I aim to keep the family tradition of making the things we need and things we desire. I aim to design new objects and redesign old objects in the hope that the folks using my work will begin to see art in the everyday."

Hatch's style is unified but seems to draws from a number of world sources — there's a little bit of Delft flair, and references to traditional Turkish pottery illustration. Her newer floral work screams everything I look for in the thrift store for my disparate ceramic plate collection. And I just love the frames she's created to display her pieces, as if the wall was an extension of the art. If you're in the Bay Area this Saturday, April 24th, swing by LOLA in Berkeley to catch a glimpse of her new show. Be sure to take a look at her blog, and her Etsy, which is due to reopen sometime this spring. Check back if you're interested in placing orders! [via Design Sponge]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails