Friday, September 4, 2009

Maira Kalman







Recently, I was gifted Maira Kalman's The Principles of Uncertainty
by my ever-whimsical, perennially life-enraptured stepmom, Claire. This is the book (turned opera) based on Kalman's beloved NYTimes blog And the Pursuit of Happiness. I realize many people know and love this book, but it was new to me. Settling into my couch with a slice of Mission Pie and reading Kalman's musing cover to cover was like going to the best romantic movie of the year without having seen the trailer. A total surprise, it was to enter an inhabitable and enduring moment, the moment one wakes and decides to proceed with love and thoughtfulness and humor, in spite of and because of it all. Kalman and her practice personify this seed of intention.

"... and I guess I haven't changed in that way, that I need to collect and classify in my way what is happening in this world and make of it some sense and then nonsense. That's always the amazing thing. You are overwhelmed by the meaninglessness of it, and then you create projects and life and love, and there had better be comedy in it or else you're really a dead duck."

Maira was married to the late Tibor Kalman, one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. Together they co-founded M&Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails